|Type of Object||Tile|
|Collection||American Decorative Arts Collection|
|Principal Artist||Mercer, Henry Chapman|
Two fireplace hearths by Moravian Tiles and Mosaics of Doylestown, Pa., designed and installed in November/December 1908. The fireplace contains Indians tiles (facing both ways, the ones facing right are #228) and the #158 Swastika of Persepolis in a 3x3 quarry.
John Jay and Grace Hoffman White extensively remodeled 1734 N Street NW after they purchased the home in 1908. By that time, Henry Chapman Mercer’s Moravian Pottery and Tile Works had established its reputation, winning awards and participating in several exhibitions.
Mercer designed tiles epitomizing the Arts and Crafts Movement and its celebration of hand craftsmanship. He created handmade tiles meeting the demands of the increasingly affluent middle class in the United States. Mercer used red clay from the Delaware River in creating the raw tiles. A variety of slips, liquid clay, and glazes imparted various colors to the finished tiles.
|Source||White, Grace Hoffman|
Architectural and Decorative Features