|Type of Object||Tile|
|Collection||American Decorative Arts Collection|
|Principal Artist||Grueby Faience Company|
Floor, wall field, and wall cap boarder tiles in the Solarium at 1734 N Street NW by the Grueby Faience Company, Boston, Mass. 3" hexagonal floral floor tiles are identified as no. 34 and no. 36 in Grueby Faience Company catalog sheet.
The running border at the top of the wainscot in the solarium was officially called D-8 and was also illustrated in a Grueby Faience Company catalogue sheet. Unofficially, it was known in-house as the "LeB border," after it's Addison B. LeBoutillier, Grueby's chief designer from about 1901 well into the 1910's. D-8 was available by September 1906 when it was published in an article written by LeBoutillier himself, as a border to a large panel.
John Jay and Grace Hoffman White extensively remodeled 1734 N Street NW after they purchased the home in 1908.
|Source||White, John Jay and Grace Hoffman|
Architectural and Decorative Features