|Catalog Number||CP IN 004|
|Collection||Clubhouse Photograph Collection|
|Title||Minerva Society, New Harmony, Ind.|
|Place||New Harmony, Ind.|
Exterior of the Fauntleroy Home that served as clubhouse of the Minerva Society, New Harmony, Indiana.
The Minerva Society was founded by Constance Owen Fauntleroy in 1859. The house was built in 1815 and purchased by Robert Henry Fauntleroy in 1841. Constance Owen Fauntleroy gifted the house to the Indiana Federation of Women's Clubs on 6 June 1925 to maintain as a historic site dedicated to the birth place of the club women's movement. In 1919, the GFWC Board of Directors visited the Fauntleroy Home and GFWC President Anna J. H. Pennybacker (1912-1916) presented Constance Fauntleroy with an honorary GFWC membership. Ella Dietz Clymer, member of the Minerva Society around 1860, coined the GFWC motto "Unity in Diversity" in 1892.
In 1939, the Indiana Federation of Women's Clubs gave the property to the New Harmony State Memorial, which was dedicated to preserving the New Harmony community, operated by the state of Indiana. The buildings are now maintained by Historic New Harmony, Inc., a division of the Southern Indiana University.
Club appears on 1938 inventory of clubs having submitted photographs to GFWC Headquarters.
Description information on the Fauntleroy Home and Constance Owen Fauntleroy found in "History: Indiana Federation of Women's Clubs" (1939) pg. 526-539.
Article on purchase of Fauntleroy Home by GFWC Indiana appeared in the General Federation News, December 1921, pg. 5.
Pennybacker, Anna J. Hardwicke
Fauntleroy, Constance Owen
Clymer, Ella Dietz
|Source||(IN) Minerva Society of New Harmony|
(IN) Minerva Society
(IN) State Federation
National Register of Historic Places