|Catalog Number||PROG 1964-1966.01|
|Collection||Program Photograph Collection|
|Title||GFWC "Operation Little Bells" Tour, Mexico, 1965|
The September 1965 GFWC Board meeting was held in San Antonio, Texas. Following the meeting, on 17 September 1965, GFWC President Margaret Hasebroock and GFWC Director of Junior Clubs Mary Jean Houde led a group of GFWC members to Mexico to witness the dedication of "The School of the Little Bells" in El Ocote in the Mexican state of Hidalgo, about 40 miles from Mexico City. The dedication took place on September 18, 1965.
"Operation Little Bells" was a special CARE project adopted by GFWC's Junior membership during the 1964-1966 administration. GFWC Juniors raised more than $40,000 and built five schools in rural Mexico. Money for the school in El Ocote was raised by the GFWC Junior membership of the Illinois Federation of Women's Clubs.
Images 1-3: Caption on back of photograph: "Barranca Houda State of Morelos, Jr. Membership, GFWC. Proj. #141-63"; stamped "CARE-MEXICO."
Image 4: GFWC leaders preparing to embark on Braniff flight to Mexico City, September 17, 1965; left to right: Honorary President Sara Whitehurst (1941-1944); GFWC Director of Junior Clubs Mary Jean Houde; GFWC Treasurer Susie Martin; GFWC Third Vice-President Louise Brown; GFWC Second Vice-President Jessie June Magee; and GFWC President Margaret Hasebroock.
Hasebroock, Margaret McDonald
Houde, Mary Jean
Whitehurst, Sara Anderson
Magee, Jessie June Flanagan
Brown, Louise Graham
Operation Little Bells
(IL) State Federation