|Catalog Number||CP MS 005|
|Collection||Clubhouse Photograph Collection|
|Title||Woman's Club of Gulfport, Miss.|
|Studio||Purple Pigeon Studio, Master Photo Finishers of America|
Exterior of the first clubhouse of the Woman's Club of Gulfport, 23rd Avenue, Gulfport, Mississippi.
In 1929 the Woman's Club of Gulfport purchased a lot on 23rd Avenue, south of the Markham Hotel, and an existing house on the Markham property. The house was moved to the newly-purchased lot, painted, and landscaped at the seller's expense. The club enjoyed its first clubhouse, often sharing it with the Junior Woman's Club of Gulfport, until August 17, 1969, when Hurricane Camille destroyed the building and all its contents.
Club appears on 1938 inventory of clubs having submitted photographs to GFWC Headquarters.
See CP MS 005a for image of second clubhouse.
|Source||(MS) Woman's Club of Gulfport|
|Year Range from||1930.0|
|Year Range to||1938.0|
(MS) Woman's Club of Gulfport
(MS) Junior Woman's Club of Gulfport