|Catalog Number||SA MT 001|
|Collection||State Federation Archives|
|Title||The General Federation of Women's Clubs of Montana Records|
The General Federation of Women's Clubs of Montana (GFWC-MT) is the state affiliate of the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC). Founded in 1890, the General Federation of Women's Clubs is an international women's organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. Throughout the organization's history, GFWC members have worked in their own communities to support the arts, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic involvement, and work toward world peace and understanding.
In 1904 twelve clubs banded together to form the Montana Federation of Women's Clubs. Early records show that the GFWC Deer Lodge Woman's Club, organized in 1890, was the first woman's club organized in Montana.
Montana's first state convention was held in Butte in 1905, with Mrs. H. Mitchell of Great Falls elected as the first state president. The official seal of the state federation was adopted during the 1962-1964 administration with the official colors of copper and green; official bird, the meadowlark; and the official flower, the bitterroot.
Montana Federation of Women's Clubs
Montana State Federation of Women's Clubs
(MT) State Federation